Wednesday, August 17, 2011

End of summer....

Jared and I have just finished reading the original verion of "Through the Looking Glass" by Lewis Carroll.  It was a challenge for Jared, but he really enjoyed it...although he did tell me more than once that the author was a nutjob (haha - if he only knew).

I'm not a big fan of poetry, but I really, really loved the poem at the end, and I thought you all would too.  Before you go, "Whatever!" and stop reading here, give it a shot.  It's a great piece about the end of summer and the end of childhood.  A nice finish, I think, to Jared's babyhood.

Untitled, by Lewis Carroll

A boat, beneath a sunny sky
Lingering onward dreamily
In an evening of July -

Children three that nestle near,
Eager eye and willing ear
Pleased a simple tale to hear -

Long has paled that sunny sky:
Echoes fade and memories die:
Autumn  frosts have slain July.

Still she haunts me phantom-wise
Alice moving under skies
Never seen by waking eyes.

Children yet the tale to hear,
Eager eye and willing ear,
Lovingly shall nestle near.

In a Wonderland they lie,
Dreaming as the days go by,
Dreaming as the summers die:

Ever drifting down the stream -
Lingering in the golden gleam -
Life, what is it but a dream?

No comments:

Post a Comment